Skip to main content

Slowing down! Reflections on January 2012

I have been following Christine at Slow Living Essentials for a while (OK, Its really lurking - I'm just a bit shy!) and she  has set a challenge that appeals to me. To record on our blog monthly how we have "slowed down" under the following nine categories - most of which I do anyway. So I thought I would give it a go. This is my January reflection of Slowing Down - the Slow Living Essentials way!

Here's what I did... 

NOURISH: Make and bake as much as possible from scratch. Ditch over packaged, over processed convenience foods and opt for 'real' food instead. I have been menu planning for years now. Practically everything we eat is made at home, bought from the local markets and ethical butchers! Homemade Ricotta cheese anyone...

PREPARE: Stockpile and preserve. I have slowed down on my preserving this year - we have a backlog of jams especially strawberry, some are dated 2008... Still good, still yummy, still a lot of them! But I did make some tomato sauce last year!

REDUCE: Cut down on household waste by re-using, re-purposing and repairing. This I'm quite good at already being into fixing, cleaning and decluttering! Throw out 50 things post

GREEN: up our lives. Start (or continue!) using homemade products. I make my own washing powder and face cleanser and toner. This gives me an excuse to make other stuff I've wanted to try for a while! Cockroach demise post...

GROW: plant/harvest. What's growing this month? What's being eaten from the garden? I aspire to this goal on a regular basis but Mother Nature has other plans for my gardening efforts. Microgreens are the best I can do at the moment along with a herb pot or two!

CREATE: to fill a need or feed the soul. Create for ourselves or for others. I love making things but I like to have a use for them. I'm not very good at making for the sake of it. So when I have a purpose (like these high tea invitations) I like to go all out!

DISCOVER: Feed the mind by reading texts relevant to current interests. I love the library. I often have more than the allowable amount of books out. Went to the LifeLine BookFest again this year and managed to limit my self to only 24 books! Dictionaries, stories, gardening, French cooking, craft...

ENHANCE: community: The rewards for your time are often returned tenfold. I belong to a social basketball team, buy as much as I can locally and read blogs (see my side bar) - and I have just started commenting on some! January doesn't seem to offer as many opportunities for community as later in  the year will when things get back up and into routine again.

ENJOY: Life! Embrace moments with friends and family. My husbands birthday camping weekend. Having homemade salmon quiche and fresh salad birthday dinner delivered to the tent door by the owner of the campground and then sitting in our chairs munching, watching Lorrikeets, King parrots, kookaburras and Rosella's watching us eat - hoping a morsel would be thrown or left for them. With a glass of wine, some atmospheric mist and a good book to read snuggled up in a tent next to a loved one - it doesn't get much better than that!

Hey - that was good! Thanks Christine! It was nice to have a cup of tea and reflect on January 2012.

Comments

Chris said…
Hi Kara, so glad you decided to de-lurk! What fun to have you along for this journey...wishing you a great month!
Practical Frog said…
Wow! Hi Christine! Thank you! And thanks for visiting - see you again son! - Kara
The Lifeline book sales are good aren't they... although a little competitive at the start!
Good to read what you've been up to Kara :-)
Practical Frog said…
Hey CHG! Nice to hear from you! I Love the LifeLine bookfest!!! I got smart - this year I signed up to volunteer for their June BookFest. Hopefully we will be able to select/buy books as we sort them...
Cheers - Kara
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre