Skip to main content

Team colours: A cheap way to tell your teams apart!

As some of you may know, I play basketball (albeit badly...) on Tuesday nights. Its a pick up social game at the local PCYC and each week, the teams are made up with whoever turns up. For the last few years there has been a core of about 13-15 of us playing a 5 a-side game. this means there is a sub for those nights its just too hot to run in the Queensland heat, you ate too much dinner before you came or your mobile rings while you are on the court! (We play for fun, not sheep stations!)

This year we have had twenty or so players turning up each night. The PCYC is ok to give us two courts and to have 2 games going on at the same time but we discovered that we can't tell who is on whose team as they change each week! We had been given some netball bibs many years ago and so we had enough for one team - thus making us bibs v non-bibs each week. With two games playing now - we need a better solution and so I made up these 'sashes' for us to wear out of old sheets from the op shop...

Here's what I did...

First I went through my cupboard and cursed myself for giving away all those single sheets during my get rid of fifty things blitz! Then I wandered down to our local op shop and picked up four single sheets for $2 each! I thought that was a bargain.

Then I cut (ripped them actually - quicker and easier, also more accurate for me - but makes for messier edges in the long run) them into six strips. (One for each player + a sub)


I folded the ripped sides in twice and sewed up the long edge making a long hollow tube.


Then I folded up the ends and double sewed them shut - hoping to trap all the raw edges inside the sash.



A few minutes cutting off the threads that didn't get tucked in...


And voila - in an hour I had four sets of  six team colours for our Tuesday night game!

They are folded in half in this image



It only dawned on me later that I only needed two sets - Two teams could've played against a non-sash team each...

I made these quite big as they need to fit a wide variety of people. Some tall, some skinny, some athletic, some not so! If they are way to big, you could tie a knot in one end to temporarily shorten them for that game. I'm not sure what I did to the green one to make it smaller - but that might be the other way to go and custom make them for each member if they are the same people each week.

 If I was making kids ones I would look at making them width wise rather than lengthwise as I have done here

I'll give them a trial run on Tuesday and let you know how they go!


Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for using recycled stuff and re purposing it!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 $8 for four sets of team colours has to be some sort of record!
Time cost: About an hour. If you are a real sewer maybe less cause you know what you are doing or more cause you don't take every shortcut like I did!
Skill level: Another straight line sewing project! Pretty basic skills required!
Fun -ness: Good fun making something that will be used by lots of people!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre