Skip to main content

What else can you dye??? Dying teatowels, mats and cushion covers!

The dying bug is hard to shake! I had intended to do the towels and if that was successful, then give the curtains a go. Then of course if you are doing the curtains and the cushion covers on the couch match the curtains - it makes sense to do them as well doesn't it?? I thought so too! and the extra dye for the purple ones was a whole $4. I thought the budget could stand that and so I went ahead and did them as well.


Here's what (else) I did...


These are the original cushion covers...

And this the new improved version - The purple was a good match, they are just brighter. The green ones are an entirley different colour. If I was going to do this again, I would WASH the cushion covers in the machine and try to get out any fabric protector that hadnt worn off, off. I think that that is the cause of the patchiness.


The $5 cotton IKEA mat on the kitchen floor. Its on its last legs and has been washed many many times...

The mat after it was dyed. This mat just got the left over dye in the bath so it wasnt as strong as the dye bath I used for the cushions and curtains even though they were all done together. I think the patchiness is the same "not wet through" issue as the mat was VERY heavy and VERY wet. As an experiment, It was OK and I'd do it again!

I was getting quite excited dying the curtains - there is no proper "before shot" as these were the first thing I thought of doing. We use a LOT of teatowels in our house (cheaper than paper towel) and some are in a fairly scary state of threadbareness! Anyway - this is the before image...


And this - the after. They went through the "leftover dye" bath rather than full strength, but I thought they would come out in a stronger colour as they were all 100% cotton - according to the label... I was hoping that the blue ones would go green and the redish ones more purple rather than just a tint - not that its detracted from their teatowel purpose in anyway!

Score card:Green-ness: 3/5 Not as much water used as the other items but still of concern
Frugal-ness: 5/5 No cost as the whole experiment was left overs and already hads!
Time cost: An extra 1/2 hour per item - and a much needed cuppa!
Skill level: Pretty easy, especially if you have already dyed things
Fun-ness: Can be tooooo much fun - very hard to know when to stop... Try not to pop through your husbands grey 1980's grey suit, no matter how much better it will look in patchy bottle green!!!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them...

But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!!

We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to breed!!!

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong.


Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do?

Here's what we did...

We found a box - popped an old towel in t…

Refilling old candle holders with new home made candles!

I had a number of nice wee candles that had burnt down to the bottom of their containers. They were too nice to throw away and I decided that I might be able to refill them with some more wax that I had lying around and use them again. Jumping straight in as I am apt to do.... I learnt a bit about candle making the hard way!

Here's what I did...


First I gathered up all my old wax. I scooped the wax out of old candles by either melting it for popping the whole container in the freezer for 10 minutes or so - most of the wax just popped out of its container after that!
I bought a length of candle wick from my local handcraft store. This was 6 meters and cost me $4.
I used the double boiler method of melting all my wax together. I used an old tuna can as I was only planning on filling four small candles. Don't let any water boil over into your wax. It will make your candles go funny...
I gently stirred the wax as it melted.
I measured the depth of the candle holders and then doub…