Skip to main content

Upcycled or recycled can - Pencil pot for my desk!

I went to the Lifeline Book Fest last month in Brisbane - Ahhhh book heaven! A very dangerous place for me. The library always demands their books back sooner or later but the ones in the unpriced section I can keep forever and at $1each, I may have come home with more than I needed!

 One of my little gems was this book on paper craft. When I spotted the pencil pot - I knew I had to make me one. I had the perfect paper. Gift wrapping paper from a birthday present that I love - from a great friend to boot and since it was a rainy day (they are all rainy days in Brisbane at the moment) and the husband was tucked up in bed with a coffee and a book still, it was the perfect opportunity to turn the dining room table into a craft zone for minute or two!



Here's what I did...



First I cleaned the can thoroughly and dried it well. Check that it doesn't have any sharp bits on it and cut them off or push them down if it does. (Sorry the photo's aren't so great - its so dark with the rain all the time and the flash photos looked worse...)

Then cut a piece for the inside that will overlap and stick out the top.


Glue the back of the paper and then stick into the can. Then cut the top into tabs (like in the picture) and  glue them down on the outside. If you like, cut a circle and glue it to the inside bottom of the can. I didn't.


Then cut a second strip to go on the outside of the can - making sure that its too big again so that we can cover the bottom of the can.

Glue the can and then roll the paper slowly onto it taking out the wrinkles as you go.


Upend the can and cut tabs in the paper again and glue each one down so that you cover the bottom of the can.


Voila! A cute wee pencil pot!


I cut strips of paper and used them to cover some pencils as well - More cuteness!



This would make a nice present for someone to put by their phone or for kids for their desk I think. Hmmmm.... I see fun, personalised Birthday presents coming up!

Score card:Green-ness:  5/5 Using 100% used items rather than sending them to landfill - much green-ness!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 Using 100% items I got for free - much frugal-ness!
Time cost: 15 minutes from woah to go including clean up time!
Skill level: Super easy - might be a good holiday craft with the kids.
Fun -ness: Good clean fun! Yum!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What kind of glue do you use? I'm mostly interested in the pencil, wondering what glue will sharpen along with the pencil over time.
Practical Frog said…
I used white PVA type craft glue. Ive sharpened these a couple of times with no issues with the glue so far. Some times the paper catches where it hasnt been glued on cause its free. The stuck stuff just sharpens off with the pencil - Try experimenting with an old pencil. Good luck and thanks for dropping by! - Kara
I thank for your time of this wonderful blog read about cleaning!!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and subscribed to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
BBQ cleaning
End of lease cleaning Sydney
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to ...

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old ...

Pumpkin pollinating (and few other things Ive learnt about pumpkin growing!)

We had a pumpkin plant of an indeterminable type pop up in the middle of a tomato hoop. Not realising what a monster we were unleashing, we let it grow. It was the biggest greenest thing in the garden and we were quite proud of it. One day we spotted a wee pumpkin growing from it and were SUPER excited. A few weeks later and we have a giant supermarket sized totally normal looking pumpkin growing in our garden! This was amazingly good fun. When a second pumpkin started growing off the same vine we got a bit more serious about our illegitimate babies and decided to "grow pumpkins" (not they had needed our help up to this point!) Here's what I did... When we found rogue, self set pumpkin we let it grow but directed the main vine to areas of full sun but not in the vege patch. (ie, the place where normal people would have grass!) Pumpkins take up soooooo much room that we have started encouraging them out of the garden beds and then we guide them around the garden ed...