Monday, 4 June 2012

Citrus vinegar cleaner

While having a look at the various blogs that are joining with Christine's monthly reflections at Slow Living Essentials, I saw a recipe and link for a citrus vinegar cleaner that I thought might be not only easy to make but effective too!

Since I was making a Lemon and Lime chicken in the crockpot that evening - it seemed serendipitous that I should see a citrus cleaner at the same time! Here is the link to Wendys blog where I first saw the cleaner and the one to the blog that she got it from.

Here's what I did...

I simply peeled the skins off the lemons and limes with a vege peeler.


And then soaked them in plain cheap white vinegar on the window sill.


Then used it undiluted for my shower and diluted 50/50 with plain vinegar for the benches - Smells  great, works just fine!
  

Just as an aside, I saw some info about using Mandarin peels somewhere too - don't - they turn the whole thing into a gelatinous mess! Have fun and enjoy making your own cleaner!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 Pretty darn green I think - you could just about use it as a salad dressing too I reckon!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 Didn't cost me a cent as I had all those things anyway!
Time cost: All of 1 minute I think - but I wasn't really timing it!
Skill level: If you can peel a potato, you can do this!
Fun -ness: Great fun to make free things that work!

5 comments:

africanaussie said...

I love that cleaner and it does seem to deter ants on the counter tops, which is a huge plus for me!

Practical Frog said...

Oooooo! That will be a bonus for me as we quite often get ants on the bench! Thanks for letting me know! - Kara

slowdownslowly said...

Oh yes so easy! And I definitely need an ant deterrent so bonus!

Barbara Good said...

This is now my number one cleaner for pretty much everything. I've been using it for probably close to a year and combined with some bi carb soda I'm yet to find something it's not good for.... actually that's not true, it makes terribly streaky stains on mirrors, don't use it on that. I have made it with mandarin peel though without issues. It's also perfect for polished floor boards with a microfiber mop.

Practical Frog said...

Ooooo - more uses for this stuff - its a miracal cleaner methinx! Im glad you can use mandarin peel. Since they are in season, I have been throwing the peels into the garden/compost - now I can add them to my jar too! Thanks Barbara!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...