Skip to main content

Growing your own mushrooms at home!

I love mushrooms! I love them with bacon and eggs, in a soup, in a stew, stuffed, on pizza, raw in salads and straight out of the ground for that matter!

Back in the dim and distant past, I worked for a few months, getting up before the sparrow, to pick mushrooms on a mushroom farm. We would arrive before the sun came up, wrapped up nice and warm (it was a NZ winter) and get into the sheds as soon as we could so that we could warm up. It was really peaceful sitting on the wooden trolleys and sliding along in the quiet dank dark sheds, reaching across the dark soil and plucking the glowing white mushrooms from their warm beds with a twist of my wrist.

I soon learnt not to have breakfast as I would simply feast on fresh mushies for the first 1/2 hour anyway! (one for me, one for the box, one for me, one for the box) The boss did mention that my first picks of the day were always a bit on the low side...

A while ago, I managed to convince my wonderful husband to buy me an "indoor mushroom growing kit" for Christmas (or a Birthday - it was a while ago) and with great anticipation of an endless supply of fresh mushrooms, we opened it, set it up, misted it with water and popped it in the hall cupboard.

And got about ten mushrooms over three weeks before the whole thing refused to give up another mushroom and sat smell-ily in the hall cupboard for a month or so more while we hoped and it sulked. I know we have tried this a couple of times with the result that its cheaper to buy mushrooms than it is to grow them!

However - recently I inadvertantly discovered a great cheap way to grow your own mushrooms at home!

Heres what I did...

First I bought some 'spent mushroom compost' for the garden. It's $2 a bag and it comes from the local mushroom farm. I drive past it about once a week and if they have some I try to grab a bag or two and pop it on the garden. Its mainly composted (horse I belive) manure topped with mushroom growing meduim.

Normally, I get home and throw it into the wheelbarrow as it pongs out the car pretty quickly if you don't, and then wander around the garden breaking of peices and flinging it whereever I think needs a bit of a boost.

This time it was raining so I threw the lot into the wheelbarrow and put it in the garage until I had time or it stopped raining. And this is what happened!!!

That $4 worth of the best value mushroom growing kit right there!

So I picked a bowl full...

And stuffed 'em with feta cheese and bacon and baked 'em for ten minutes

And then we gobbled them all up!!!

We got four meals for three people out of these bags - I did stuffed mushies, a mushroom tart and fried mushies for breakfast twice (with fresh eggs from the chookies of course).

If you can track down a local mushroom farm (try google-ing mushroom farm in your area) you will find that most of them sell the spent mushroom growing meduim direct to the public via an honesty box system. Its a great booster for the garden even if you don't grow and eat the mushrooms - and you will find the mushrooms will come up wherever you put the top layer in the garden anyway.

But if you pop the bags in a darkish place and mist them everyday with a waterspray, you will get a decent crop of mushies out of them as well as the booster for the garden plants! Thats gotta be good value! 

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 Good for the garden, the belly and the grower!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 A two4one deal you are unlikley to get anywhere else!
Time cost: Probably a week for your crop to appear.
Skill level: Just watching and waiting (and drooling)
Fun-ness: Great fun to get a harvest and cook 'em up!!!

Comments

Kathryn Ray said…
Oh my gosh, what a splendid discovery!

I love mushrooms and we happen to have an organic mushroom farm about 5 miles from our house. I will definitely check for spent growing medium. Thanks!
Practical Frog said…
Its a very happy accident from my point of view! I have just got a second crop/harvest off these bags a day or two ago but about half the amount of last time. Still a free feed of mushies is a free feed of mushies! Let me know how you go! - K xx
Mack Shepperson said…
Wow, your homegrown mushrooms look great! I bet you have a lot of delicious recipes for mushroom dishes by now. Maybe you’d like to share some in the near future? Since you like growing your own mushrooms, look up chanterelles. They’re very beautiful, very aromatic, and very delicious and are actually quite healthy! They also smell and taste more like flowers than actual mushrooms.
Angela Marsh said…
this is fantastic! im an Ipswich local, im wondering where abouts this mushroom farm is?
Practical Frog said…
This one is in Gumdale, Angela. Try Googling "mushroom farms Ipswich" and see what you get. I am under the impression that many of them sell the left over base to the public from the farm. Theres still enough mushroom spore in them for the home gardener/cook for $2, thats for real! Good luck! - K xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them...

But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!!

We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to breed!!!

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong.


Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do?

Here's what we did...

We found a box - popped an old towel in t…

Refilling old candle holders with new home made candles!

I had a number of nice wee candles that had burnt down to the bottom of their containers. They were too nice to throw away and I decided that I might be able to refill them with some more wax that I had lying around and use them again. Jumping straight in as I am apt to do.... I learnt a bit about candle making the hard way!

Here's what I did...


First I gathered up all my old wax. I scooped the wax out of old candles by either melting it for popping the whole container in the freezer for 10 minutes or so - most of the wax just popped out of its container after that!
I bought a length of candle wick from my local handcraft store. This was 6 meters and cost me $4.
I used the double boiler method of melting all my wax together. I used an old tuna can as I was only planning on filling four small candles. Don't let any water boil over into your wax. It will make your candles go funny...
I gently stirred the wax as it melted.
I measured the depth of the candle holders and then doub…