Skip to main content

Home Made Lemon and Salt Body Scrub!

Over the last few days we have been painting one side (yes - just one side) of the house. A few years ago we decided that we would take a week off in the middle of June and each year we would paint one side of the house. (and yes - we are a bit late this year!) It works quite well as it doesn't take us a week, we actually finish what we set out to do and inevitably get other maintaince jobs done as well.

After we did all the preparation work we were both covered in dust and grot and paint flakes and mud and other things we didn't want to examine toooo closely making heavy duty showers the order of the day for the pair of us.

The husband bought and used the gritty grot remover soap - Solvol - But I recalled seeing on someones blog somewhere about a homemade body scrub that was yummy enough (for her sister in law) to eat and thought that would be much nicer!

So while the Husband was in the shower - here's what I did...

Had a quick look in the Blogoshpere for the recipe I thought I remembered seeing on  the Lightly Crunchy blog and found it here (its worth a read for the funny email and the sister in law even if you don't make the scrub!) and then found another yummy one here on little eco footprint.

Getting the idea of the basics required, I went to the kitchen to concoct my own version of these scrubs.

Super basic really - Grate the rind off (one of the neighbours juicy ripe) lemons (or lime if you have one) and put into a small bowl. Then squeeze the juice out and add a splosh of oil (olive in my case but coconut was in the recipe) and soak up the liquid by adding salt (or sugar).

Mix with a spoon, take to the shower and use pretty much straight away!



I'm not sure how long it will last for but I only made about 2-3 tablespoon worth and used about 1/2 to scrub all the paint and dust off me. I'll use the rest in the next few days just because its there!

It was very quick and easy to make, so I would just make it up when I wanted to use it.

I got over excited with it and ended up touching my face with scrubby hands and of course got lemon juice and salt in my eye - tip right there for beginners!!! I did however smell very lemony and have lovely smooth paint free arms and legs!

It would make a nice gift too I reckon!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for being totally natural and homemade!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for being made from ingredients that are cheap and I had anyway.
Time cost: Almost a whole minute I reckon!
Skill level: Grate, mix, stir, scrub!
Fun-ness: Good scrubby fun!

Comments

Kathryn Ray said…
Salt and Lemon in your eye? Ouchie.

The scrub does sound lovely.
africanaussie said…
I have used oil and sugar mixed together before for my hands, and it leaves them feeling very soft and smooth. Gosh I love the idea of the lemon peel and juice - I will have to try that.
Practical Frog said…
Yah - Ouchie all right!! You'd think I'd be smarter than that. I was pushing some hair off my face. I'll be a damn sight smarter next time. It does leave me feeling all soft and glow-y! and the lemon is refreshing too. Made me feel a whole lot better when I got out of the shower! - K xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre