Skip to main content

Planning parties at home - and remembering what happened!

Each year, in the weeks after Christmas, I write up what happened over Christmas in my special "events" book. I find that its great when as November rolls around again and you need to start thinking about ordering prawns or making up guest lists - you can remember what happened (that is, where not to order prawns again and who not to invite this year!)

Events are in my families blood. We can all organise a birthday for 50 people without blinking and turn breakfast for four into a bit of a production when the need arises. Its something that we are not only good at, but all enjoy. We can all cook, we can all drink and we can all organise various celebrations without raising a sweat - that's a real feat in a Queensland Summer! It wont surprise you to know that many of my family is in the Hospitality trade!

Here's what I do...

I have an exercise book that I write up all my events in. I use it to plan the event and then after the event I write up what worked well and what didn't. That means if I hold a similar event, I have all the information at my finger tips when I'm planning the next one.

I start with headings:

Event name/date/place/time. Basic information, the who,where, why, what, how of the event.

Theme (is this an old fashioned tea party, a traditional English Christmas or a Eco themed Birthday party?) These headings and your entries will give you your framework for what you need to plan next.

Afternoon tea party


Guest list with room to add, delete and mark if they RSVP.

How many of these people will be invited next year??? All of them!!

Food required. I write up a menu based on the theme and number of guests and then write up a shopping list from it.

Cheese cake in a jar for a picnic dessert!

Drink required. Do I need beer? Wine? Tea? Coffee? Juice or Soft drink? Something special for this event?
 

Champagne? Yes Please!

Decorations required. Table clothes? Napkins? Flowers? Balloons? Candles? Pennants? Lights? Something special for this theme - Like a piñata? Or Halloween decorations?

Reusable Halloween decorations!


Extras: Tables/Chairs/Crockery/Cutlery - what will I need to seat and feed the 5,000 that I don't already have?

Anyone for a cup of Tea?

Timetable: What is happening when? What time are the guests to arrive? What time is dinner served? What time can Myla organise charades and musical chairs? Who is on dishes duty? What time is dessert?

Who doesn't like a good dessert?

I make up a few lists:

To Make (decorations, food, invitations)
To Buy (food, drink, special decorations)
To Do (put up fairy lights, mow lawn, post invites)
To Get ( Extra chairs, party hats, flowers, small jars to put flowers in!)
To Ask (Anita to make her fabulous chocolate cake)
To Get the Husband to do (mow the lawn, put up the fairy lights, have a shower and be awake when the guests arrive!)

Getting organised...

And I run off these lists until the event is actually happening!

A big must if you are hosting or organising an event is to enjoy it. There is no point in going to all this trouble if you are too busy organising to enjoy it!

Hmmm... Another glass of wine? Why not...

After the clean up and chatting to people about how it went over the next few days, I write up a quick round up on the last page of the event in my book.

I simply note what went well;
  • Prawns were great - order again but get an extra kilo.
  • 10kg of ham fed 18 people amply with a bit left over for the week.
  • Aunty Carroll's mango/avocado/bacon salad was great - get her to make it again.
  • Table size was perfect - use all three for 16 - 18 people next year
  • Ant traps on buffet table legs worked really well!

And what I would change for next time;
  • 2pm was too hot for late December - try 4pm.
  • Asked Guests to bring wine and they all drank the cider. Ask some to bring cider next time.
  • Only needed 1/4 of the tartar and seafood sauce.
  • Fly net needs to be wider - ends got dunked in the food.

Its amazing what you will forget from year to year. Where did we get the prawns from? Was it the Butcher last year or the Seafood place? Whose were bigger/better/fresher? How many salads did we have? Was it too many or too few? Did they all get eaten? Where did I get the extra chairs from? Was it the neighbour or from a friend?



By writing it all down - and just quick notes is all you need, not an essay - you save yourself the hassle of not needing to remember that it was the neighbours table we borrowed for the buffet table and it was the PERFECT size or that you can freeze mince pies four weeks before Christmas and pull them out in the morning to eat at lunchtime with no problems whatsoever!

Its something that takes ten minutes but can save you a huge amount of grief and stress down the track, even if you don't do huge events like we do!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for saving yourself from buying the wrong things year after year cause you cant remember weather it worked or not and you know you bought it last year...
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for saving money and sanity!
Time cost: Maybe ten minutes...?
Skill level: Basic recall after the event (maybe harder if you had a bit too much to drink of course!)
Fun-ness: Great fun to pull off a event year after year that just keeps getting better and better!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i