Skip to main content

Make your own reusable party penants!

I like to celebrate! I love hosting birthdays, gatherings and having people over for dinner. I also enjoy decorating the table to make it a little more special when we have a special gathering of some sort. I have collected from markets and op shops a variety of linen, serviettes and candle holders but I was buying paper things to hang from the ceiling each time and then, of course, throwing them in the bin after one (or maybe two uses) There had to be a cheaper, more sustainable way of decorating for special occasions. Then one day at the botanical gardens I saw these. Knitted, felted and sewen pennants!

 
And thought they were wonderful!

 Totally out of my league to make, but gave me an idea for making my own, very basic, celebration pennants...

Here's what I did...

 
I gathered together old bits of material I had in my stash around the purple theme. I didn't have quite enough so I went to the local op shops and bought pillow cases in the right colours for a $1 each and bought them home and opened them up into a sizeable piece of material. Ironing the ex pillow case goes a long way to making life easy when you go to cut them, too.
 
I decided on a pennant/flag size and cut the material into strips and from there into triangles with two long sides and one much shorter in the classic pennant shape. (The two end 1/2 triangles can be sewn together to make an extra full triangle if you need it.)
 
Then, I sorted them into pairs - I was going for a mix and match theme rather than a line of solid colours or a pattern (makes it easier to hide mistakes and saves me having to purchase a large quantity of the same material!) so as long as the back didn't match the front I was happy! I did a plain back and a patterned front so that when I went to sew them on the ribbon, I could get the mix and match pattern for sure!
 
 
With the material inside out (right sides together) I sewed the two long sides of the triangle together.
 
 
Like so!
 
 
Do them all at once in a production line!
 
 
As I'm not the world best sewer, I used a pair of scissors to  even things up a bit. You don't want too much excess material on the inside as it makes it harder to get a point in the pennant when you are finished.

 
Then you turn them inside out

 
Use a pair of closed scissors or a knitting needle to poke the ends out as far as you can.
 
 
Since none of my pennants were the same size (due to lack of measuring...) I cut them all to a similar length by cutting the top off them. As you can see, I'm going for hand made charm not commercial perfection for this particular activity!  

 
Once you have go them all roughly the right size, get out the iron again and fold the top over about 1cm (or the width of your ribbon) and iron it. When you go to sew it, this will make it soooooo much easier!   
 
Choose your ribbon - taking into account how far you want your pennants to reach from end to end.

 
Open the fold that you made with the iron...

 
And clip the ends off with a pair of scissors...

 
And then refold - this is so there is no bit hanging out the side and that your pennants can sit snugly next to each other. I like my pennants with the flag part all butted up against each other but I have seen them with gaps in between the flags. Roll out your ribbon and check how many pennants you will need to fit on the way you like it. (Make more pennants if you need them or buy more ribbon if you have too many!)

 
Before you sew the pennants onto the ribbon, lay them out in the order you want them. Check that you have the pattern that you want or that they are as random as you hoped - both on the back and on the front. Remember to sew a loop to hang the pennants up with or leave enough at each end to tie them onto something. Then pin each pennant in place or put them in the order that you want to sew them on.

 
And sew them on!
I used a single zig-zag stitch and just went along the ribbon once making sure that the folded down side went under the ribbon leaving the plain side at the back with just the stitching along it. It looks neater that way.
 
 
And then hang in the garden, over the table, on a wall or where ever you need a splash of colour!
 
 
I use mine a lot in the garden as we live in the subtropics and entertain outside a lot. But they work just as well under the pergola as well as inside the house. 
 

 
I made another set out of an umbrella whose metal parts had given up but whose stop rip nylon most certainly hadn't! My husband devised a way of cutting each umbrella segment into about eight pieces that were the same size and since it was stop rip material and the same colour on both sides, I just cut it and then sewed it straight onto a piece of ribbon - very, very easy and very colourful as well!
 
One of the things I love the most about my pennants is that if they fall on the ground, get wet or get dirty, you can simply wash them (hand wash them though - the machine will do very bad things to them!) and hang them out to dry and they are as good as gold again. I haven't bought paper decorations since I made these. These pennants have become our symbol of a special gathering.
 

 
 

  
 
 I chose purple as I have a lot of purple table wear anyway. Obviously when you make your own, you will be naturally drawn to certain colours and patterns and each set of pennants will look totally different. I have seen these made with doilies cut in half as well which are very pretty indeed!

I store mine by folding them in a zig-zag pattern (back, front, back, front) and then securing them with a large bull dog clip. We have put a few hooks up in various places where we tend to hang the pennants from to make it easy to pop them up. If they aren't long enough to go where you want them to, I use a piece of string on each end to lengthen them so they fit across the area I want them to. I have even cut them for a super duper special occasion to fit, as its easy enough to sew them back together when its all over.

I love my pennants and think they are great value for the time and cost it took to make them!


Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for repurposing material and not needing to buy a disposable product ever again.
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for buying from an op shop or using material from your stash.
Time cost: Around an hour for me from go to whoa.
Skill level: Sew and cut in a straight(ish) line skill.
Fun-ness: Great fun to pull them out over and over for celebrations! They get a specialness about them after a while!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i