Here's what I did...
I used the sample to match the ribbon and flowers to. I didn't want it to be just two colours so I chose lighter and a darker blue flowers to go with the sky blue as well as the white and some silver ribbon to add a highlight.
Lace off cuts are everywhere and you only need a small piece to go around the outside. Glue or sew on depending on your patience! And then for a final touch I added some charms:
Frog for us, Heart with a key, H and T (their initials) and a dolphin as part of their honeymoon will be on the Gold Coast. (Tied on with thick silver thread)
Googling 'wedding horseshoe' in image search is a good place to get ideas from. Starting with bases that were already covered gave me a head start. Then it was just a case of sewing, tying or gluing parts on. Now I've got to get it over the Tasman Sea flat and in one piece!
Green-ness: 4/5 Using recycled and unused bits and bobs makes it a green wedding project!
Frugal-ness: 4/5 Raiding my boxes (and my neighbours box) of bits and made this a very fugal project. Ribbon and flowers are not too expensive new - but I like to recycle. That's a "something old' - even if she doesn't know that!
Time cost: Starting took me nearly a week. The first one took about two hours and the second about 1/2 an hour. I think I had got more confident since the first one!
Skill level: Cutting and pasting - with a few stitches here and there. Pretty basic!
Fun -ness: Its great fun making something that you hope she will have for a long time to come!