Saturday, 4 October 2014

Another apron from a pillow case!

Here is another apron that I made from pillowcases. This time as the material was quite thick, I didn't need to line it with another pillow case. I wanted to make a full apron for this person rather than a half or waist apron, so I had to make this one differently from the other one.

Here's what I did...

I cut off a strip off the long side of the opened pillow case for the neck strap and apron ties.
Then using an apron I already have as a template, I cut a segment from the end for the top.
Check that it is bigger than the apron before you sew it together.

And then turned the pillow case to its longest edge and sewed the square bit to it, right sides together.

Then put the material for the apron underneath...

leave a seam allowance - and cut around the apron shape.

Using the left over part from where I cut the top out, I cut two strips to use as a ruffle along the bottom and the rest became the pocket.

Hem the bottom of the ruffle. Find the middle of both the bottom of the apron and the top of the ruffle. Pin the right sides together in the centre. 

Pin equal tucks in the ruffle so that it fits the width of the apron.

Then sew the ruffle to the bottom of the apron.
Then hen the whole apron starting at one side of the ruffle and going up the side, across the top and down the other side. I find it easier to iron the hem in place before I start to sew. Id the curves where the arms go are too steep to sew easily, a few very short cuts around the curve can help.

Then fold and iron the apron ties and sew into one long ribbon.
Measure the neck strap against the original and sew into place, checking that its not twisted as you do it! I backstitch along it a number of times as this is an area that will get a lot of tension on it.

Cut the remaining tie in half and attach to the sides of the apron - again back stitching to stop it from coming off easily.

Find the middle of the top of the pocket and the middle of the apron. Pin these points together.
I placed the pocket on the line where the two pieces of material were joined to make it harder to see that there was a join there.

Iron the edges of the pockets over. Pin and sew!

And that's it! You're done!
(maybe cut off a few threads and tidy up anything that needs it though!)

This was a fun and pretty apron to make. It was much quicker than the last one as it wasn't lined. The pillow cases were Ikea ones according to their label and I think, quite high quality.

You could make the apron out of one pattern and the pockets ruffle and ties out of a complimentary colour/pattern. There is lots of fun to be had once you get the hang of the basics!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for repurposing something that may have reached the end of its intended life.
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for only spending a couple of dollars at an op shop (6/5 if you use one from your own collection!)
Time cost: about 45 minutes
Skill level: Pretty basic sewing - cause I'm not able to do much more than a straight line myself!
Fun -ness: Great fun to make something new and fun out of something else!


Marigold Jam said...

Well done on all counts and whoever it is for will love it I'm sure.

Practical Frog said...

Thanks! It was fun and this one is for my sister in law! - K x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...