Skip to main content

Down to Earth. A guide to simple living - The Book

I came across Rhonda's website when she was just starting to end the process of getting her book published and watched with interest as the proof copies appeared and read her posts about what she was thinking. Lots of people were writing to say they had ordered copies and so I thought I would have a look at one too - Having never seen a blog turn into a book, I was curious to say the least.


My first port of call when looking for any book is our local library. I wandered through the catalogue, backwards and forwards and couldn't find Rhonda's book anywhere. So I emailed the chief Librarian and asked if she was thinking of buying it and if so, I'd be keen to borrow it.


It arrived at the library on the same day that the books went on sale! I got first dibs on it and by the time I picked it up a day later, there were 13 people with requests in for it already - Now that's a popular book!


So what did I think?


Its great! I somehow thought there would be more recipes, more 'how to's,' more projects to try rather than philosophy, but on reflection, the practical side flows from the philosophy. You wont muck around with time consuming activities if you don't believe the reasons for it in the first place.


I think a fair bit of her audience will already be practising a fair bit of these idea's already - I know I am and it was comforting to read someone else's version about what I do and how I think. It's good to see a fair few of us are all thinking along the same lines! It strengthens my resolve to pay off that mortgage, to cook from scratch and to drop out of the consumer rat race as quick as I can!


Its a decent read - not a 'flick through, Hmmm.. that looks interesting'  - type book. With over 325 pages, theres a lot of information to take in. A blog is usually written in bite size pieces. This book is written like a book - not a series of posts. That fact took me a little while to get my head around.


Rhonda has a lovely writing style and in her previous life I believe she was a professional writer. Each chapter is set out to build on the last one, building a complete case for simple living! It's gentle, warm, friendly and enticing. Rhonda tells us how it was for her but encourages you to undertake your own journey - not create a replica of her's.


The pictures are glorious, the layout attractive and easy to read and the book is a good size for reading at the table or in bed. It also fits quite well into medium handbags to take to show others!


All in all a really good book to start exploring simple living and to build on the start a lot of us have already made!


Well done Rhonda!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to ...

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old ...

Pumpkin pollinating (and few other things Ive learnt about pumpkin growing!)

We had a pumpkin plant of an indeterminable type pop up in the middle of a tomato hoop. Not realising what a monster we were unleashing, we let it grow. It was the biggest greenest thing in the garden and we were quite proud of it. One day we spotted a wee pumpkin growing from it and were SUPER excited. A few weeks later and we have a giant supermarket sized totally normal looking pumpkin growing in our garden! This was amazingly good fun. When a second pumpkin started growing off the same vine we got a bit more serious about our illegitimate babies and decided to "grow pumpkins" (not they had needed our help up to this point!) Here's what I did... When we found rogue, self set pumpkin we let it grow but directed the main vine to areas of full sun but not in the vege patch. (ie, the place where normal people would have grass!) Pumpkins take up soooooo much room that we have started encouraging them out of the garden beds and then we guide them around the garden ed...