Skip to main content

How to make peanut butter at home!

We love peanut butter in our house! When I was a kid, I was the peanut butter girl, my sister the Vegemite girls and my brother allegiances changed daily depending whose side he was on that day!

I decided a while ago that the list of ingredients on the side of the peanut butter jar was getting a bit long for me... I mean what do you need all that other stuff for - just how long does it need to sit on a shelf for???

And then I discovered that it was so easy to make at home! This one is a good "cooking" project for the kids.

Here's what I do...


I buy my peanuts from Food Connect so that they are "good local peanuts" that have only traveled a hundred kilometers or so to me for about $6 for 500gms. These are biodynamically and organically grown as well as being local!


Then 1/2 of the packet goes into the blender (I have a VERY small blender!) and I add olive oil as they are being mushed up to get a peanut butter consistency.
Stop the blender every minute or so to check your consistency. Also have a taste and if you think it needs a bit of salt (or sugar - just a teaspoon can make a big difference) add it now so that it has time to meld through the whole mixture.


I boil up a jar 1/2 filled with water for 3 minutes (These ones are tomato paste ones - about 400 mls) in the microwave to sterlise them (and pour the boiling water on the lids in a bowl to sterilise them as well - don't put the lids in the microwave...bad things happen!) before putting the peanut butter in.


When I'm making home made peanut butter - I never get the smoothness that you get from the store bought stuff. I don't have the patience to wait that long for the blender to crush every single nut so my smooth is probably very crunchy and my crunchy has whole nuts in it... (makes really good satay sauce too, by the way!)


And voila - one jar of organic, biodynamically grown, low food kilometre peanut butter for $3!!!
Easy as!


Or one jar of crunchy and one of smooth for $6!
Not too bad at all!


This is one of the easiest things to make in the kitchen. Good for snacks - a little of this peanut butter goes a long way on a cracker or two! With a glass of cold milk - its almost like coming home from school all over again!

I like a bit of salt in mine but if you don't - you simply don't need to add it. You could experiment with different types of oils, but be warned, some may change the taste of your peanut butter so I tend to go for bland ones. Just add enough to keep the nuts moving or more, if you like your peanut butter smoother.

The addition of a teaspoon of sugar (that you cant actually taste) seems to balance out the flavours a bit as well - I don't understand why that would be, but I tried it one day and swore it made a difference... Let me know what you think!

I keep blending until I'm bored, think it looks ok or cant stand the noise of the blender anymore - there isn,t a specific time. If you are a peanut butter connoisseur, you will know when its right. If you are not - just taste it and if its good, its done!

Happy Peanut Butter creating! - K xx

Score card: 
Green-ness: 5/5 for organic, bio-dynamic, low food kilometer home made peanut butter in a recycled jar!
Frugal-ness: at only $6 for 2 400 ml jars?? That's real frugal!
Time cost: About 10 minutes from whoa to go!
Skill level: Blending, tasting and eating skills!
Fun-ness: Great fun to look at $9 jars of commercially made organic peanut butter in the shop and know you have 2 bigger and cheaper jars at home!

Comments

Cath said…
Mmm, looks absolutely yummy. definitely on my to-do list. I think mine will end up crunchy ... had a chuckle with your blender noise overload being when you stop.
Share great information about your blog , That’s what I was looking for. I am talking about all topics bundled in this blog. Blog really helpful for me. Thanks for share your blog here.
Bond cleaning
End of lease cleaning
End of lease cleaning Sydney
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to ...

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old ...

Pumpkin pollinating (and few other things Ive learnt about pumpkin growing!)

We had a pumpkin plant of an indeterminable type pop up in the middle of a tomato hoop. Not realising what a monster we were unleashing, we let it grow. It was the biggest greenest thing in the garden and we were quite proud of it. One day we spotted a wee pumpkin growing from it and were SUPER excited. A few weeks later and we have a giant supermarket sized totally normal looking pumpkin growing in our garden! This was amazingly good fun. When a second pumpkin started growing off the same vine we got a bit more serious about our illegitimate babies and decided to "grow pumpkins" (not they had needed our help up to this point!) Here's what I did... When we found rogue, self set pumpkin we let it grow but directed the main vine to areas of full sun but not in the vege patch. (ie, the place where normal people would have grass!) Pumpkins take up soooooo much room that we have started encouraging them out of the garden beds and then we guide them around the garden ed...